Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Blog Chain

It's time for the blog chain again and this time Christine asks:

What are your "go-to" scenes or phrases? You know, the ones you have to remind yourself NOT to use too frequently? What do you do to keep yourself from being overly reliant on them?

Okay so, I just can't believe Christine thinks I might actually repeat words or phrases. I mean, seriously? I just don't like, write like that. Okay, I mean come on. Seriously.

Ha! Okay, no actually it's embarrassing how often I use the same words and phrases. For my last manuscript, I was fortunate enough to be mentored by the amazing Ellen Hopkins as part of the Nevada SCBWI Mentorship Program. She helped me so much, but it was kind of humiliating how many repeats she pointed out. In dialogue, I use okay, just, come on, really, actually, seriously, like, and I'm sorry way too much. In that story I used dark, freak, zombie, glisten, rush, and unfurl too much.

I'm always writing about character's eyes. So many eyes.

And in this last story my main character dropped too many beverages. And the love interest asked if she was okay too many hundreds of times. (But she was so not okay!)

I always think by reading the manuscript out loud, I'll find these things. I do, but clearly not enough. Scrivener has a great feature where it ranks the order of which words appear most frequently in the document. I should use this feature more often.

What about you? Which words sneak themselves onto every page?

Check out Michelle's and Cole's take on the topic.

32 comments:

  1. This is one of the good articles you can find in the net explaining everything in detail regarding the topic. I thank for taking your time sharing your thoughts and ideas to a lot of readers out there.

    Cardsharing Server

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. saya sangat senang sekali dan suka sekali dengan artikel yang Anda buat, bisa saya jadikan sebuah inspirasi yang berharga

      Obat TBC Kelenjar
      Obat TBC Paru Tradisional
      Obat Maag Akut
      Obat Sperma Encer
      Obat Maag Kronis
      Obat Sperma Kosong

      Delete
  2. Hi I'm looking for your contact info for a bookreview/post?
    Can you email me at EdenLiterary at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is perfect time to make some plans for the future and it is time to be happy. I have learn this put up and if I may I desire to recommend you some fascinating issues or suggestions. Perhaps you can write subsequent articles regarding this article. I wish to read more issues approximately it!

    My blog: obat leukosit tinggi

    ReplyDelete
  4. focus on the job is the most important thing, to get maximum results. Relaxed attitude as they do at work and do not have targets will only bring us to the failure that has no end

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your article really gave me the inspiration to further the spirit of living life.
    Suplemen Untuk Pertumbuhan Anak

    ReplyDelete
  6. thank you for giving me the opportunity to comment .

    obat maag

    ReplyDelete
  7. always trying without giving up and embarrassment , continue to fight as long as we can maintain it :)

    Jenis makanan yang dapat mengatasi sembelit

    ReplyDelete
  8. obat yang bisa membantu anda dalam menyembuhkan bebagai penyakit
    obat usus bocor yang aman

    ReplyDelete
  9. Slimming Capsule is a slimming drug that is safe, natural and fast so it is very effective at all for those who want to have a slim body

    Slimming Kapsul Pelangsing

    ReplyDelete
  10. terimakasih informasi yang sangat bermanfaat , tingkatkan lagi

    Ricalinu

    ReplyDelete
  11. Terimakasih atas informasi yang sangat menarik dan bermanfaat


    Obat asam urat
    Obat rematik
    Obat flu tulang

    ReplyDelete
  12. thanks ats information. pobud thanksgiving

    ReplyDelete
  13. I say many thanks to Mr. admin website I read this, because in this website I know a lot of information information that I did not know before his

    ReplyDelete
  14. Green World is a company that develops healthcare products made from herbs and International level. Already circulating in more than 20 countries worldwide and has been recognized by the population. A lot of products that you can choose according to what you need. Some products such as Hepatsure Capsule are useful as guardians of the health of the liver and treat various types of diseases that attack it. Then the second one there Ginkgo Biloba Plus Capsule, a drug which is efficacious at all because it is made from extracts of ginkgo biloba in which these materials have a lot of people who know all his properties. Triflex Capsule Segalam drug used to treat different types of disorders in the joints and bones. Chitosan Capsule Drugs that can treat cancer and tumors is made from chitosan which are in shrimp, crab and lobster.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Manfaat Kopi Jrenk Untuk Kesehatan Vitalitas pada pria ataupun wanita yang sudah terbukti khasiatnya dan juga aman untuk dikonsumsi karena terbuat dari rempah-rempah dan herbal pilihan. Kopi Jrenk atau Kopi Rempah Jrenk ini mempunyai banyak khasiat yang dapat mengatasi berbagai macam masalah pada vitalitas pria. Seperti yang akan saya jelaskan dibawah ini.

    ReplyDelete